22 Elegant Small Backyard Water Features That Will Transform Your Outdoor Space
While a big and lavish water feature in your backyard might be something to aspire to, the reality is that not everyone has the space or budget for such an addition. However, that doesn’t mean you have to forego the beauty and tranquility that a water feature can bring to your outdoor space. Small backyard water features are an elegant and affordable way to add some wow factor to your yard.
There are several different small backyard water feature ideas to choose from, so you’re sure to find something that suits your taste and budget. From rock water features and waterfall features to more unusual water features, there’s something for everyone.
In this article, we’ve rounded up 22 of the best small backyard water features to help you transform your outdoor space.
1. Bubbling rock water feature: This simple yet elegant water feature consists of a small boulder with water bubbling up from the top and flowing down the sides.
2. Bird bath fountain: A bird bath fountain combines the function of a bird bath with the soothing sound of running water.
3. Container water garden: Create a small container water garden with a variety of aquatic plants and a small fountain or spout.
4. Pondless waterfall: A pondless waterfall is a great option for small spaces, as it still provides the peaceful sound of flowing water without taking up too much room.
5. Solar-powered fountain: A small fountain powered by solar panels is a great eco-friendly option for a backyard water feature.
6. Terrarium water feature: Create a miniature terrarium with a small water feature, such as a waterfall or fountain, as the centerpiece.
7. Rain chain: A rain chain takes rainwater from your roof and funnels it into a decorative chain, creating a beautiful and unique water feature.
8. Wall-mounted fountain: A wall-mounted fountain is a great option for small backyards, as it doesn’t take up any floor space.
9. Water spout: A simple water spout can be mounted to a wall or garden feature to create a petite water feature.
10. Bamboo water feature: A bamboo fountain is a beautiful and affordable option for a small backyard water feature.
11. Recirculating stream: A small stream can be created with a recirculating pump and some strategically-placed rocks and foliage.
12. Waterfall spillway: A waterfall spillway can be installed in a rock feature or retaining wall to create a small but stunning waterfall.
13. Rain curtain: A rain curtain is a unique and eye-catching water feature that can be created with a series of chains or beads dripping down tiers.
14. Birdbath with fountain: A birdbath with a built-in fountain offers the perfect combination of a place for birds to drink and bathe, as well as the soothing sound of falling water.
15. Water sculpture: A small water sculpture, such as a ball or orb, can add a touch of sophistication to your backyard.
16. Small pond: If you have a little more space to work with, a small pond with a fountain or waterfall can be a beautiful addition to your backyard.
17. Deck-mounted fountain: A deck-mounted fountain takes up no floor space and creates a stunning focal point on your deck.
18. Stone column fountain: A small stone column fountain can add a touch of elegance to your backyard without taking up too much space. 19. Fish pond: A small fish pond adds interest and beauty to your backyard while providing a home for fish and aquatic plants.
20. Gazing ball fountain: A gazing ball fountain combines the beauty of a gazing ball with the relaxing sound of water features.
21. Urn fountain: A small urn can be converted into a simple and elegant water feature with the addition of a fountain pump.
22. Tiered fountain: A tiered fountain creates a stunning visual display while adding a peaceful sound to your backyard.